Release Date: July 8, 2013
- Falling In Love
The last time 2NE1 were heard of as a group was way back in 2012 with their single I Love You and subsequent tour 2012 2NE1 Global Tour: New Evolution. Since that time they have been pursuing solo projects until YG announced they would be returning with this digital single, Falling In Love.
This is the first of four new songs to be released spanning a schedule of July to October. Falling In Love is a typical summer song and their first official attempt at Reggae. If you refer to the remixes of I Don’t Care it is known that 2NE1 can sound decent within the genre. The question is whether a full blown Reggae production would actually fit the group or not.
Well it’s kind of a mixed bag to be honest. The verses and chorus definitely have that summery Reggae vibe, whereas the intro, pre/post-chorus and outro have a harder Hip-Hop feel. It’s almost like two different songs mashed together.
That can really turn off those expecting a more consistent experience. But given a few repeated spins it’s not as jarring as the initial listen. This probably won’t be an instant kill with more discerning listeners. I sense it’s more of a slow burner that will eventually make it into regular playlist rotation over a long period of time.
It could be worse though, they could be doing some sad attempt at Dubstep instead of this. Let’s all be thankful.
The video isn’t exactly that exciting and consists of the members dancing on some all inclusive resort beach/basketball court/gas station or sitting pretty by an expensive looking pool side or bleachers.
Simple dance shots and close-ups. Nothing to get excited about unless you really, really, really missed 2NE1. With that said I’ll go over some of the more interesting points of the video.
- CL looking pretty damn fine and appears to be competing with Bom in the appealing curvature department
- Dara needs a sandwich stat. Scratch that, she needs a buffet stat. Sure she’s always been a rather thin woman, but she’s looking like a straight line in this video. I do like her blonde hair, it looks nice on her.
- 2NE1 look meaner and more gangster than any of the so-called “bad boys” that are in this video randomly trying to look hard while standing around or playing basketball.
- Subtle Nikon product shot near the end of the video. Who says these things aren’t commercials and are artistic endeavours?
- Gold plated everything. Hummers, boom boxes, cell phones, gas station pumps, GOOOOLLLDDD!!
Falling In Love