The following broadcast contains material that is the opinion of the participants. The views expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the other Selective Hearing staff or affiliates of the site.
Episode 4 of the audio version of the Selective Hearing roundtable brings together regulars Tenkei, Boykun, Hiro and Mandy along with Dave from New School Kaidan to discuss idols and scandals.
Remember that if you don’t like what you hear, we have two words for you…
Tenkei – Twitter | basugasubakuhatsu | nandake
Boykun – Twitter | basugasubakuhatsu | nandake
Greg – Twitter | Selective Hearing
Hiro – Twitter | Selective Hearing
Dave – Twitter | New School Kaidan
Mandy – Twitter
Opening: Epik High – Wordkill
What do you feel defines a scandal?
- Are they major incidents or do minor infractions count as well?
- What mitigating factors result in something being called a scandal?
- Do you think the term is being overused?
Why do you think so many idols risk getting caught breaking the rules?
- Is it human nature to do so (i.e. puberty, sex drive, etc.)
- Are they rebelling against the corporate binds that tie them?
- Do you think that J-Pop idols should get the same slack that K-Pop idols get when it comes to dating and “relations”?
What are your thoughts on fan reactions to scandals?
- Are there too many over the top, OMG THE WORLD IS ENDING reactions?
- Does social media have a role in how people react to the news about their favorite idols getting into hot water?
- Have there been so many reactions that you just don’t give a damn anymore & want everyone to shut the fuck up?
Ending – Village People – Macho Man
Total time: 46:05
Selective Hearing Social Media